Prepare for a uniquely Montanan experience.

Whether you are considering Montana Tech because of our excellent academic programs, or pursuing study abroad because of your desire to experience American culture, you will find Butte and Montana Tech campus to be both welcoming and rewarding. You will get a top-notch education, while also exploring the beautiful mountains and culture of the American West.


Our application is easy to complete. We ask for information about your GPA, high school graduation date, etc. If you don't know the answer to some of our questions, that is ok. Complete as much of the application as possible.


Montana Tech has three residence halls, each with unique character and features. On-campus housing is limited, so we highly recommend applying for housing as early as you can.

Request Information

We accept applications beginning the summer before your senior year. Not there yet? We can still answer your questions, and help you prepare to apply.


Programs at Montana Tech are STEM-focused. Become an engineer specializing in Environmental, Electrical, Petroleum, Mechanical, Software, or Mining, or enroll in pre-professional programs like Pre-Med, Pre-Professional Health, or Pre-Law. Montana Tech offers numerous pathways to successful careers.

International Admissions Procedures and Information

You are considered an international student for Admissions if you are not a U.S. citizen and need a visa to study and live in the United States.

If you have U.S. Legal Permanent Resident status ("Green Card"), have another legal immigrant status (Refugee, Asylee), or are recognized under the Jay Treaty you are considered a domestic U.S. student for Admissions. 

Canadian citizens are an exception. They do not need a visa to study in the U.S., but they do need to apply as international students. 

Send all of the following materials to the Montana Tech Admissions Office at the address below or e-mail them to Admissions at

Montana Tech
Admissions Office
1300 West Park Street
Butte, MT 59701

  1. Application for Admission.

Please use the same spelling as is on your passport when applying for admission and on all other correspondence with Montana Tech.

      2.Color Copy of Your Passport Photo Page

This is required to ensure that the information we use on any official documentation exactly matches the spelling on your passport. This can be attached to your online application 

      3. Official or Certified Academic Records and Grades from All Secondary and Postsecondary Institutions

These documents must be converted into English. Photocopies or scanned copies will not be accepted. Transcripts are subject to verification.

      4. Official English Language Proficiency Score Report

Citizens of countries other than Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland, and Wales are required to show proof of English proficiency through one of the following methods:
  • 71 iBT on Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
  • 6 on International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Successful Completion of the ELS Language Center’s Level 112

     5. Statement of Financial Support Form

Download the Montana Tech Statement of Financial Support Form 

This form may be completed by you, your sponsor (if applicable), and the bank certifying the funds. It must certify that funding will be available to cover the estimated expenses during your first year at Montana Tech.

     6. Physician or Nurse Validated Immunization Records

Each of the following immunizations must be identified on the record in English:

  • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (two doses after your first birthday)
  • Diphtheria

  • Tetanus

  • Tuberculosis (skin or blood test completed within one year prior to start of attendance)

*All items must be submitted before a form I-20 will be generated.

International Admission Requirements

You are considered a first-year student if you are currently enrolled in secondary school (high school) or if you have graduated from secondary school, but have NOT taken any college-level courses.

Primary Requirements

International first-year students must have at least a 2.50 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) based on a 4.0 scale to be eligible for admission. Admission to some engineering programs, nursing, and radiologic technology may be restricted and require a higher GPA and placement scores.

Math and Writing Requirements

International first-year students must complete a placement exam to determine their math and writing preparedness. If available, it is highly recommended and preferred that international students complete the ACT or SAT to satisfy this requirement. To find a testing center near you, visit the ACT or SAT website.

Students who do not complete an ACT or SAT will be required to complete a placement exam during Montana Tech’s Orientation Program.

International Transfer Admission Requirements

You are considered a transfer student if you have graduated from secondary school (high school) and completed 12 or more college-level credits.

Primary Requirements

International transfer students must have at least a 2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) based on a 4.0 scale on their most recent college transcript to be eligible for admission. Admission to some engineering programs, nursing, and radiologic technology may be restricted and require a higher GPA and placement scores.

Official transcripts from all previously attended technical schools, colleges, and universities, including those in the U.S. or any other country, must be submitted to Montana Tech for evaluation. Please review the Transferring Credits section below on this page for complete details.

Math and Writing Requirements

International transfer students who have not successfully passed a college level math and writing course must complete a placement exam to determine their math and writing preparedness. This exam is available at many universities throughout the United States. Scores can be sent to the Enrollment Services office for review.

If the Accuplacer exam has not been completed before arriving at Montana Tech, the student will be required to take it during Montana Tech’s Orientation Program.

Intent to Transfer Form

International students transferring to Montana Tech from another U.S. institution must complete an Intent to Transfer Form. Completion of this form will help ensure your SEVIS records are transferred correctly and allows for a new Form I-20 to be issued. Contact your present foreign student advisor regarding transfer procedures and for help completing this form.

This checklist outlines all of the steps you must complete in order to enroll in classes at Montana Tech. Complete each step by the listed deadline to ensure a smooth transition to Montana Tech. Steps completed after their priority deadline will be accepted, but availability for that item may be significantly limited.

❏ Apply for Admission

Review the “International Application Procedures” and complete your online application for admission. See the "Apply Now" button at the top of this page. Applications received after the admission deadline will not be considered

Admission Deadlines

Note: Visa processing times have increased dramatically since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic. We strongly recommend turning in all materials well in advance of the deadlines below.

  • Fall Semester Deadline: August 1st
  • Spring Semester Deadline: December 1st
  • Summer Semester Deadline: May 1st

❏ Reserve Housing

Assigned First Come, First Served: Apply Early!

To reserve on-campus housing, complete the online application and submit a $100 USD deposit. First-year students with fewer than 30 credits are required to live on campus.

❏ Pay SEVIS Fee

After you have received your Form I-20 from Montana Tech, you must pay your $200 SEVIS fee. Directions on how to complete this step will accompany your form I-20.

❏ Apply for Student Visa (if applicable)

After paying your SEVIS fee, you can schedule a visa appointment at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. For more information, visit the Form I-20 and Visa section below on this page.

❏ Obtain Medical Health Insurance

Montana Tech requires all students to have medical insurance for hospitalization or referral beyond Montana Tech’s Student Health Services. A Montana Tech-approved insurance policy is available for purchase at the beginning of each semester. Visit the Montana Tech student health insurance web page for more information.

If you can prove that your current insurance coverage is equal to, or better than that provided by Montana Tech, you may waive the insurance option during fee payment. Please understand that health care in the United States is largely a private (non-governmental) function. THERE ARE CHARGES TO THE STUDENT FOR MANY MEDICAL SERVICES. These may range from a few dollars for a very simple procedure to thousands of dollars for extended hospitalization or major operations.

❏ Take Placement Exam (if applicable)

Students who have not completed college-level math and writing courses or who do not have official ACT or SAT scores are required to take a placement exam to satisfy their Math and Writing admission requirements. Class registration will be delayed until math and writing placement are determined.

❏ Register for Classes

Registration for new students opens in May and continues throughout the summer. Instructions on how to register for classes will be sent via email when you are eligible to register. Students are encouraged to register before July 1st to ensure a complete class schedule for the semester.

❏ Finalize Enrollment

Deadline: 1st day of class

To finalize your enrollment at Montana Tech, you must submit payment for your Montana Tech-related expenses. This can be done through your OrediggerWeb account or by contacting the Business Office. This step cannot be completed until you are registered for classes.

❏ Attend Orientation

All new students are required to attend Orientation. During this time you will meet new friends and classmates, learn about the social and academic transition to college in the U.S., and explore all the services available to you on campus. All international students must attend the mandatory international orientation session to complete their SEVIS registration.

An evaluation of transfer credit will be performed for any student who has previously acquired college-level credit and wishes to pursue a degree at Montana Tech. The official evaluation will be provided once all official transcripts have been received, the student’s application for admission is complete, and the student has been admitted.

If all college-level transcripts are on file in the Admissions Office 30 days before the semester begins, an evaluation will be completed and notification will be sent to the student within 10 working days. An official evaluation for transcripts received less than 30 days before the semester begins is not guaranteed before the first day of class. However, every effort will be made to provide an unofficial review allowing new students to enroll.

The Admissions Office will work with the appropriate academic department to review all eligible coursework for transferability and will determine the applicability of transfer credit to specific degree program requirements. A grade of “C-“ or better is required for acceptance of credit. Note that some courses accepted into Montana Tech may not count towards the completion of your selected major.

International students transferring to Montana Tech must submit the following items in order for their course work to be considered:

  1. Official College Transcripts (in English)
  2. Web links to the detailed course descriptions for all classes taken (in English)

Students Transferring from Outside the United States and Canada

The college(s) you previously attended must be a legitimate institution of higher education and have a website where we can verify their credentials and their course offerings. If Montana Tech cannot verify this information, we may request that you order a course-by-course transfer evaluation from World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE).

WES and ECE evaluations can take up to 12 weeks to obtain and there is a cost associated with these services that you will be required to cover. You must request that an official report be sent to both Montana Tech and to yourself, and they must arrive prior to the application deadline. To find out more, go to or

Students Transferring from Canada

Montana Tech has established transfer agreements for the following institutions and programs. Admission requirements for these programs may vary from Montana Tech’s general admission requirements. Applicants must meet the requirements for their respective agreement to gain admission to Montana Tech.

If you transfer to Montana Tech within one of these programs, you do not need to provide detailed course descriptions with your transcripts.

  • SAIT/NAIT Petroleum Tech to Petroleum Engineering
  • SAIT Mechanical Engineering Tech to Mechanical Engineering

All F-1 international students must obtain a Form I-20 to study in the United States. A Form I-20 will be given to you by Montana Tech once you are admitted and the following items have been submitted:

  • Application for Admission
  • Color copy of your passport photo page
  • Official Transcripts proving that you are academically admissible
  • Proof of English proficiency 
  • Statement of Financial Support form
  • Physician or nurse validated immunization records

After you have received your Form I-20 from Montana Tech, you need to:

  1. Pay your SEVIS fee

    Directions will accompany your Form I-20. Visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program website to begin the process.

  2. Apply for your student visa (if applicable)

    Visit the U.S. Department of State website to find your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate. Carefully read the embassy’s website to make sure you fulfill all obligations unique to your home country. Visa interviews should be scheduled has soon as you obtain your Form I-20 and pay your SEVIS fee.

    NOTE: Canadian citizens do not require a visa to study in the United States.

For tips on how to prepare for the visa process, consult the Study in the States section of the Homeland Security website.

Virtual Tour!

Gas and plane tickets are expensive. If you want to explore our labs, classrooms, dining and housing, without coming to campus in person, we've got you covered.

More Resources
Visit Us!

Meet with faculty in your field of study, as well as veteran, disability, transcript evaluation, etc. All of these services can also be arranged via Zoom.

Admissions Team

We're here to help. We will guide you on your campus visit, through the application process, right up until you take your first class.

AP/CLEP/IB credit

Are you curious how your AP/CLEP/IB Credit might transfer? We perform transfer credit evaluations by request, but we also have a list available.

English Proficiency Options

There are numerous ways to show English proficiency.

Admitted International Students

We've compiled a guide that will help you get started.

Connect with us.

We can answer your questions and help you get started.

1300 West Park Street
Butte, MT 59701
(406) 496-4791