Do you have questions about the Work Study process?

Let us break it down for you.

Where do I find out about student jobs?

The first step in finding a job is to register for DR2.0 in the Career Services Office. Once you're registered with DR2.0, you can search for jobs on campus. Both work-study and regular student employment jobs are posted on DR2.0. The notices describe job duties and qualifications required.

How do I apply for Work-Study?

You must submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and your eligibility for aid must be determined. You can indicate on your FAFSA that you are interested in the work-study program. If you didn't mark that you were interested in work-study, you may still request to be considered for work-study funds by emailing Financial Aid at or by phone at 406-496-4223. Work Study is a limited fund.

What do I do after I've been awarded work-study?

Once you are hired by a department on campus, you must pick up the appropriate paperwork in Enrollment Services, SSC 3.126.  Enrollment Services will need to see original acceptable documents for completing the Form I-9.

How much work-study can I receive?

The amount offered will depend on your financial need in the offer process and current packaging philosophies. Students are generally offered an amount sufficient to work a minimum wage position for 8-10 hours per week for the 16-week semester/32-week academic year. You may earn the entire amount or you may not. It will depend on the number of hours you are working and the rate of pay.

How do I develop my work schedule?

Once you are hired, you and your supervisor can plan your work schedule based on your class schedule and the number of hours you are able to work. You cannot exceed 20 hours/week.

When do I get paid and where do I pick up my check?

The student pay period is biweekly. Students are paid on the Wednesday that falls two weeks after the end of a pay period. Students that do not have direct deposit, paychecks will be mailed to the address provided on their current Student Employment Certification Form/GRA Contract/GTA Contract.

  • Students leaving for break that want their last check mailed to them should provide a self- addressed and stamped envelope to the Payroll Office, MG 205.
  • Students that would like paychecks electronically deposited should submit the Electronic Payroll Deposit form to the Budget and Human Services Office, MG 303.
  • The first check after signing up for electronic deposit will be mailed to the address provided on their current Student Employment Certification Form/GRA Contract/GTA Contract; subsequent checks will be electronically deposited.

Where do I get more information?

For further information come to Enrollment Services, SSC 3.126, call 406-496-4223, email your questions to or visit Student Employment

The information on this page was accurate at the time of publication, but is subject to change without notice.

Connect with us.

We can answer your questions and help you get started.

Financial Aid Office
Phone: (406) 496-4223
Fax: 406-496-4705
Student Success Center, Room 3.126