Medical Assistant, A.A.S.
Medical Assistants are trained in both front office administrative skills as well as and back office clinical skills to assist healthcare practitioners with administering to the needs of patients.
Administrative skills include:
- Patient reception and scheduling;
In the back office, medical assistants work under supervision to:
- Take medical histories;
- Administer medications and injections;
- Assist with minor office surgery;
- Draw blood;
- Perform diagnostic tests and office lab procedures;
- Sterilize instruments;
- Maintain medical equipment.
Medical assistants must understand the principles of medical ethics and medical legal issues facing healthcare providers.
Clinical internship with this program has specific requirements. Students must:
- Pass a core group of courses with at least a C, including course Essentials of Disease and Conditions, HLTH 202;
- Show proof of freedom of TB annually;
- Complete three doses of Hepatitis B vaccine;
- Update TDaP status;
- Complete BLS for Healthcare Providers and First Aid training.
Students are required to purchase scrub uniforms and a stethoscope. Lab and program fees are assessed to cover malpractice insurance, lab supplies and other costs.
Graduation from the medical assistant program requires a C or better in the following courses:
- Clinical Procedures I and II;
- Externships I and II;
- Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Medical Assistant | View Catalog Information.
For more information, about Montana Tech's academic programs, view the Montana Tech Catalog. Click on Degree Planner to download the current curriculum worksheet.
Career & Outcome Information
The Career Services Office at Montana Tech surveys all graduates each year. The purpose of the survey is to provide employment information and facilitate the career decisions for prospective and current students, in accordance with Sections 485 and 486 of the Title IV Higher Education Reauthorization Amendments of 1986. The Graduate Survey is published annually. 2013 Graduate Surveys are pending.
For more information, view the Career Services Graduate Surveys
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Medical Assistant
|Year||Total Graduates||Degree-Related||Professional||Outside Degree||Continuing Education||Military||Placement %||Average Salary||Number Reported Salaries|