Please send all materials to:Montana Tech Graduate School 1300 West Park Street Box 20 Butte, MT 59701
To begin study in:
- Fall Semester: April 1
- Petroleum Engineering Fall Deadline: March 1
- Spring Semester: October 1 (including Petroleum Engineering)
Applications will be accepted after these deadlines. However, consideration for desired admission term cannot be guaranteed.
A non-refundable check or money order payable to Montana Tech in the amount of $30.00 must accompany the application. Your application will be processed when the fee is received.
Official transcripts are required from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. Contact the Registrar at previous schools and request official transcripts be forwarded directly to the Graduate School Office. At least one transcript must include evidence of receipt of Bachelor's degree. Transcripts marked "issued to student" are not acceptable. If your undergraduate education took place outside of the U.S., you are responsible for having your transcripts evaluated on a course-by-course basis by one of these organizations:
- Educational Credentials Evaluators, Inc (ECE - www.ece.org)
- World Education Services (WES - www.wes.org)
Include a typewritten statement outlining academic and professional goals and how they relate to the chosen field of study.
Letters of Reference
Three references are required for admission. Reference Forms must be sent to the Graduate School Office directly from the reference. If sent by applicant, place forms in a sealed envelope with the reference’s signature over the seal.
The International Statement of Financial Support form myst be completed by you, your sponsor (if applicable), and the bank certifying the funds. This form certifies that funding will be available to cover estimated living expenses during your first year at Montana Tech. All International students applying for admission must provide a certified financial statement showing at least $ $30,338 (U.S. Dollars). If you are bringing your spouse or dependents, the financial statement must certify an additional $4,200 for your spouse, and $1,200 for each child. Please note that all required dollar amounts are subject to change. All financial statements and documentation must be official. Photocopies and/or facsimiles will not be processed. Your application will not processed until an acceptable Financial Statement in US Dollars is received.
Students who have not attended a college or university in the United States or in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand must provide evidence of English proficiency. Montana Tech accepts both TOEFL and IELTS scores. For TOEFL, instruct Educational Testing Service to submit official scores to the Graduate School Office. Montana Tech's School Code is 4487. Minimum scores of at least 78 IBT are required. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is also acceptable.
General Test Scores are required for the following programs:
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Hygiene Campus Program
- Metallurgical/Mineral Processing
- Technical Communications
- Geological Engineering
- Geophysical Engineering
- Health Care Informatics
- Hydrogeological Engineering
Instruct Educational Testing Service to submit official scores to the Graduate School Office. Montana Tech's School Code is 4487.
Additional Program-Specific Requirements
These programs have additional application requirements:
- Electrical Engineering administers its own exam on campus.
- Industrial Hygiene requires at least two years of work experience and a resumé.
- Project Engineering & Management requires at least five years of work experience and a resumé.
- Health Care Informatics requires at least five years of work experience and a resumé.
- For Interdisciplinary Master of Science requirements, click here.
- Technical Communication must submit the Technical Communication Supplement
- Petroleum Engineering applicants must provide at least two examples of technical writing. The documents must be in English and you must be the sole author. Each example can be for any technical subject, should be at least one page in length, and should be recent (written within the past 2 years).
If applying for Graduate Teaching Assistantship, tuition waiver, or Graduate Research Assistantship, submit Financial Award Application with the Admission Application. You may also refer to the Financial Awards page for more information.
Please refer to the Montana Board of Regents Policy regarding Montana residency
An official record of immunization against Rubella and Measles (two doses of MMR) is required by Montana State Law before registration for all students born after December 31, 1956. This record must include dates of immunizations and physician’s or nurse’s signature or initials.