Chapter 33 Yellow Ribbon

Veteran's Services, Documents Needed to Process your Benefits, Chapter 33 Yellow Ribbon – Post 9/11 GI Bill®*

*Are you eligible for the Section 702 of the Choice Act? In short, this Act allows qualifying individuals to be classified as instate students.* Visit to see if you are eligible.

  1. Certificate of Eligibility
  2. No Certificate of Eligibility: Only needed for CH 33 Post 9/11 Gi Bill® if you recently applied for your benefit and do not have a Certificate of Eligibility
  3. DD214 or NOBE - To get a copy of your DD214,you may order one at: Standard Form 180
  4. Statement of Understanding
  5. Veteran’s Request for Certification
  6. Military Transcripts
  7. Request for Change of Program or Place of Training - If you are transferring from another institution this form must be filled out, sent to the VA and a copy given to your SCO.
  8. Yellow Ribbon Application - For CH 33 Post 9/11 Gi Bill® students who are not Montana Residents. Please read the application carefully to determine eligibility.

To apply for this benefit please fill out the application provided and submit to the SCO in MG 207.

To receive benefits under the Yellow Ribbon Program you must be eligible for the maximum benefit rate under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

This includes:

  • Those who served 36 months (may be aggregate) on active duty
  • Purple Heart recipients with an honorable discharge and any amount of service
  • Those discharged after 60 days with a service-connected disability and served 30 continuous days after Sept. 10, 2001
  • Children using transferred benefits
  • Children using transferred benefits if their servicemember transferor is at the 100 percent level (36 months served)
  • Effective August 1, 2022, servicemembers at the 100 percent level and transferee spouses whose transferor is at the 100 percent level


  • Your school must agree to participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program
  • Your school must have not offered Yellow Ribbon to more than the maximum number of individuals, as stated in their participation agreement
  • Your school must certify your enrollment to VA and provide Yellow Ribbon Program information

You are not eligible if:

  • You are an active duty Servicemembers or their spouse.