COVID-19 Information

For information about the COVID-19 pandemic, please be in touch with your health care provider. For further information and related health and safety precautions, please visit the CDC website. For information on cases in Montana, including Silver Bow County, please visit

Additional resources are available online at COVID-19 campus information and updates, COVID-19 FAQs, and CARES Act emergency relief fund information.


Information for High Schools

Teaching Dual Enrollment Courses


Montana high school teachers who teach a dual enrollment course with 4 or more dual enrollment students can earn a credit-for-credit coupon. A credit-for-credit coupon is good for the cost of tuition equal to the number of credits taught. For example, a three credit dual enrollment course is worth a three credit coupon.

Deadlines and limitations

  • A coupon can be transferred to any person who qualifies for Montana resident tuition rates.
  • Coupons can only be used for resident graduate and undergraduate tuition.
  • Individuals can earn a maximum of 24 credits in coupons.
  • A coupon must be used by the spring semester of 2017.

For more information

Please visit the Montana University System credit-for-credit website.


You’re qualified to teach, so why are there additional requirements for teaching dual credit?

As a dual credit teacher, your students get both high school credit and college credit. Both institutions are overseen by different accrediting bodies with different requirements for their instructors. To teach dual credit, whether it’s in a high school or in a college, instructors must satisfy both accrediting bodies. College professors with high school students in their classes seeking dual credit must maintain OPI licensure. High school instructors high school students seeking college credit for their classes must fulfill the minimum hiring requirements for adjunct instructors. The minimum requirements are set by the Montana Board of Regents Policy 730.

Understanding BOR 730: Teacher requirements depend on course

Types of Courses and Requirements

The requirements for a secondary instructor teaching dual credit in a high school depend on the type of course. The section below describes the types of courses and the requirements associated with each. All verification of instructors for teaching dual credit is conducted by the regional two-year college that will be granting the credit. Each college uses BOR Policy 730 to evaluate instructor qualifications. Therefore, the information presented here summarizes the information utilized by your local two-year college in order to help you better understand the process.

Transfer Courses

What are transfer courses?

Transfer courses are designed to transfer widely throughout the MUS system. They are sometimes referred to as Gen. Ed/Core courses. Transfer courses are a fundamental component of a university education, and part of building academically well-rounded students. The transferability of the courses allows students to complete general coursework anywhere in the MUS and take it with them to be applied towards their graduation requirements at the college where they complete their degree.

Transfer course examples are College Writing I and II-WRIT101/201, College Algebra M121, Calculus M171, Principals of Living Systems-BIO160, Interpersonal Communications-COMX115, Intro to Psychology-PSYX 100, Intro to Sociology-SOCI 101, Intro to Lit-LIT 110, etc. This list is in no way inclusive. Transfer program courses are general and not yet focused on a particular major or degree program.

What are the requirements for teaching transfer courses for concurrent enrollment?

Teachers must possess a master’s degree. A teacher with a master’s degree that includes 9 semester graduate credits in the content area in which they are teaching dual credit fulfills BOR Policy 730 and is capable of instructing dual credit courses in that subject without further coursework.

Do you have a master’s degree but not the nine graduate credits? Teachers possessing a master’s degree but lacking the nine graduate credits in the content area still have an option to teach. With the approval of the coordinating two-year college, a teacher with a master’s degree but lacking the nine graduate credits can start instruction for dual credit if:

  1. The teacher completes a professional development plan to earn the nin graduate credits in the content area of the dual credit course within three years;
  2. The coordinating two-year college’s chief academic officer and the instructor both agree to and sign the professional development plan and review it annually;
  3. The secondary instructor enrolls in the first graduate course by the first semester the concurrent enrollment instruction begins in the high school;
  4. The secondary instructor demonstrates annual progress towards obtaining the nine graduate credits.

The temporary waiver is an excellent option for an instructor looking to start teaching dual credit but lacking the nine graduate credits.

Career Technical Education (CTE) Courses

What are CTE courses?

CTE courses are designed largely for use within a specific program at a college, usually in a one- or two-year program. The courses generally have an emphasis on preparing students to enter workforce with relevant and immediately-applicable workplace skills. While these courses transfer in the MUS, they will likely be accepted at another college as elective credit rather than a degree-fulfilling requirement (although this is not always the case). CTE courses do not fulfill Gen Ed Core requirements.

What are the requirements for teaching CTE and non-transfer courses for concurrent enrollment?

Educators teaching concurrent enrollment in CTE areas must have three years of occupational experience in the field to be taught or a bachelor’s degree with three years of occupational experience within the subject area of the dual credit class being taught.