Funding your education is a major financial commitment for you as a student and perhaps for your family as well. To help make your education more affordable, Montana Tech offers both state and federal financial assistance to qualifying students through grants, loans, and student employment opportunities. To apply for financial aid, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov by December 1st of each year.*
Items you and your parents will need to complete the application
- Montana Tech's school code – 002531
- FSA ID – both the student and one parent for dependent students need one – available at https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas
- Social Security Numbers
- Federal Tax Returns from the previous year**
- W2 Forms, tribal income, child support, and SSI/ SNAP/ TANF/ WIC benefits from the tax year prior to the year you will be attending
- Additional asset information (money market funds, stocks, other investments, current cash, savings, checking account balance)
* We will continue to accept FAFSA’s after the December 1st deadline; however, the amount of aid available will continually decrease as time passes. We encourage all students to apply early!
** Parents and students alike should use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA to transfer the information from their tax returns directly to the application. This will save you time and eliminate the possibility of any errors on your application.
Some students may be selected to participate in a verification process. If you are chosen to participate, we will notify you via email or postal mail to inform you of the additional materials needed to complete the verification process. Submission of these materials will be required in order to complete your financial aid offer and should be submitted in a timely manner.
Official award notifications will be sent out via email in February. To accept or decline any part of your award, follow these steps:
- Login to OrediggerWeb
- Choose Student & Financial
- Choose Financial Aid
- Choose My Award Information
- Choose Award By Aid Year
- Select the Aid Year and click the Submit button
- Review each tab (in order) and follow the directions provided
- Complete On-Line Loan Counseling*
- Sign your Master Promissory Note*
* Once you have accepted your award through OrediggerWeb, this requirement will appear below your award information on the final tab. Follow the link to complete the requirement or visit www.studentloans.gov.
Keep Your Information Current
If we offer you financial aid, but can't reach you, you may lose your opportunity to accept your award. Be sure to notify Enrollment Services at 406-496-4256 of any changes to your email address, mailing address, or telephone number.
Financial Literacy Education
Visit the Financial Literacy Education Program page for information and assistance with filing the FAFSA, budgeting, credit, savings and student loan counseling.