Montana Tech graduate students have the opportunity to study abroad by applying to the Thesis Abroad Program. The intent of the program is to provide qualified graduate students with the opportunity to augment their graduate research while obtaining cultural and academic experiences in a foreign host institution.
For more information, please contact Montana Tech Thesis Coordinator Trisha Southergill.
The program provides one semester of financial support to Montana Tech graduate students participating in approved thesis research at collaborating foreign institutions. Students must be full time graduate students in good academic standing. Typically applicants will be expected to have completed their first year of graduate study at Montana Tech. Students are required to participate in ongoing research projects at the host institution under the mentorship of an approved host faculty member. The student’s Thesis Committee, their Department Head, and the Dean of The Graduate School must approve the research topic and the collaborating foreign institution in advance.
The program provides a stipen to cover up to one semester of living expenses and travel to the host institution. These costs will be reimbursed at the fixed rate of $5,000/semester. The student must be registered at Montana Tech for 6 hours of thesis credit during their foreign exchange visit. The host institution will not charge tuition but may require the student to register at the host institution.
How to Apply
Students interested in the program should contact the Department Head of any of the five academic departments of the campus currently participating in the program. They can provide specific details of ongoing research and thesis abroad opportunities.
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Geophysical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering
- Geological Engineering
- Biological Sciences
Current Collaborating Foreign Institutions
- University College Cork, Ireland
- Curtin University, Australia
- Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia
- James Cook University, Queensland, Australia
- Monash University, Clayton, Victoria, Australia
- Murdoch University, Perth, Western Australia
- University of Queensland, Queensland, Austrailia
- Western Australia School of Mines/Curtin University of Technology, Kalgoorlie, Australia
- University of Alberta, Canada
- Beijing Jiaotong University, China
- Dalian University of Technology, China
- Southwest Jiaotong University, China
- Xi`an Jiaotong University, China
- Technical University of Crete, Greece
- Indian Institute of Technology-Madras, India
- Akita University, Japan
- Chonnam national University, Korea
- Mongolian State University of Agriculture, Mongolia
- Higher School of Economics, Poland
- Ural State Mining University, Russia
- University of Mines and Technology - Tarkwa
- University of Aberdeen, Scotland