MyMtech | Oredigger Web | Email | Directory | A to Z
Montana Tech of The University of Montana
Future Students | Students | International | Parents | Alumni | Giving | Faculty & Staff | Friends & Visitors | Athletics

International Student Application Checklist


1. Fill Out the Application for Admission

Applications must be filled out completely. When you are applying, you will be asked a series of questions. You must answer all questions! If you have attended any other colleges or universities, you are an international transfer student. If you have only attended high school, you are an international freshman. You will also have the opportunity to complete the residence life application (housing) as part of your application for admission.


Suggested deadlines for your application are:

Fall Semester (August) .......................... July 1

Spring Semester (January) .......... November 1

Summer Session (June) ..................... March 1


2. Submit Your Application Fee

We require a $30 application fee. You will need to pay the fee once you have applied or your application will not be processed. If you apply on-line, you will be required to pay the $30 at the time you submit your application. If you complete the residence life portion of the application, you will also be required to pay a $100 damage deposit at the time you submit the application.


3. Provide a Statement of Financial Support

Please see the Financial Obligation Link for any questions regarding this requirement.


4. Provide Your Official Transcripts

The Enrollment Services Office will determine academic eligibility, placement and credit transfer. Whether you are coming as an international freshman or and international transfer student, you must show at least a 2.0 grade point average (C average) based on a 4.0 grading scale. We must have offiicial, signed transcripts from your high school, technical schools, colleges and universities that you have attended. All official transcripts are required and must be in English.


If we are unable to determine your academic eligibility, we may require you to have an ECE evaluation performed on your transcript.


5. English Proficiency


If you are planning on beginning your bachelor's degree immediately upon arrival, then you must submit one of the following:


Applicants who are citizens of Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, New Zealand, Scotland or Wales are not required to give us proof of English Skills. Citizens of all other countries must provide us with offiicial English proficiency test results.

If you are applying for the English Language Institute (ELI) that is available for Montana Tech Students through the University of Montana in Missoula, MT, you do not need to provide English Proficiency as you will get English training through the ELI program. For more information on this program, please refer to the English Proficiency Link.


If you have attended school in the United States, you may not have to turn in English Proficiency Scores if:


6. Copy of Your Passport

In all correspondence with Montana Tech, you must use the exact spelling of your name that is on your passport. When we issue you a Form I 20, we consult your passport spelling. If the name on your passport and your I 20 document do not match perfectly, your I 20 will not be accepted at your Visa appointment!


7. Immunization/ Health Records

Please provide a physician-validated record showing the dates of immunization for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, measles (two doses of the measles vaccine administered after your first birthday), and a recent (within the last year) skin test for tuberculosis. This record must be signed by a physician or registered nurse.


8. Medical Health Insurance

Proof of medical health insurance is required for all students. Coverage is not required for dependents, but is recommended. Students without such insurance or with inadequate coverage are required to obtain medical health coverage through a campus-approved policy. Students are automatically enrolled in the campus insurance plan and the coverage is added to your tuition bill. It is important to understand that health care in the United States is largely a private (non-governmental) function. There are charges to the student for many medical services. These may range from a few dollars for a very simple procedure to thousands of dollars for extended hospitalization or major operations.


9. Most International Students Will be Required to Take the Compass Test Upon Arrival

You may choose to take the ACT test or SAT test in your country to avoid the Compass Test. However, if you choose not to do either the ACT or SAT, the compass test is a math and english placement exam you will be required to take on campus before you can be registered in any courses.


10. Finally, do not forget to apply for scholarships!


Please note - All communication with international students will be done via email. Contact Stephanie Crowe at if questions.

search: Go
Get Into It!
© Montana Tech • All Rights Reserved
Montana Tech of The University of Montana • 1300 West Park Street, Butte, MT 59701 • 800-445-Tech