Chemical & Lab Safety
Montana Tech's Chemical and Laboratory Safety Program is designed to protect faculty, staff and students when they are working in labs on campus. All lab personnel should be familiar with the Chemical Hygiene Plan (copy in all labs where chemicals are used) and the policies and procedures for working in labs. In addition, all lab participants are expected to develop safe personal chemical hygiene habits aimed at the reduction of chemical exposures to themselves, coworkers and students.
In the event of a chemical spill, a Chemical Spill report Form must be completed and returned to the Environmental Health and Safety Office.
Online Lab Safety Program
In addition, Montana Tech has developed an online lab safety program. See the link below for more information.
Hazardous Materials Management Plan
- Personal Protective Equipment in the Laboratory
- Chemical Inventory Process
- Laboratory Inspections
- Where to Find MSDSs on the Internet
- Hazardous Waste Management & Disposal
- Step-by-Step Guide to Better Laboratory Management Practices (Washington State Dept. of Ecology)