Skype for Business
Skype for Business will be the web conferencing tool for Montana Tech. We will no longer be using Blackboard Collaborate.
All Montana Tech employees have access to Skype for Business through Microsoft 365. You will need to have Office 2016 installed on your computer.
If you are using Skype for Business to connect your online students, hold a web conferencing meeting or bringing in a quest speaker, your participants do not need Skype on their computers. The Skype for Business link will allow them into the meeting.
- How do I get Skype for Business installed on my computer?
- How do I start using Skype for Business?
- How do I set up a meeting invitation?
- How do I record my meetings/course sessions or end meetings?
- How do I share my desktop?
- How do I find my recordings?
- How to I put my recordings on our media server?
On-campus users can contact their IT coordinator to have Office 2016 installed on their computers. Do not attempt to install it.
Off-campus faculty, staff, and students can get Skype for Business by the following steps:
- Click the EMAIL link in the top right of any page on Montana Tech's website, which will take you to the E-mail login page, but do not login.
- Click on the link for ACCESS OFFICE 365, cloud storage and web apps and enter your normal Montana Tech credentials.
- If you have not already installed Office, click the "Install Now" button.
- Open Skype for Business by going to your Start Menu and double clicking on Skype for Business.
- Click "Sign In". Skype will automatically search for your contact information and log you in.
- To start a meeting, click "Meet Now".
- You might have to click on Tools in the menu bar and adjust the Audio Device Settings or other settings:
- Click "OK" to join meeting.
- After joining a meeting you will see a screen similar to this:
- Log into your email through Outlook and go to your calendar and click on new appointment:
- Choose Skype Meeting, add participants' e-mail addresses in the "To" field and set the time parameters of your meeting. The Skype for Business link is in the message part of the invitation. Your participants only need to click on the link to join your meeting; they do not need Skype on their machines.
- If you want to record, end a meeting or more options, click the three dots in the circle at the bottom right corner of the window. There will be an end recording button available to stop your recording.
- To share your desktop, click on the computer icon for the below options. When you are finished sharing, there will be a button to stop sharing.
- The saved recordings go to your video folder on your computer in the Lync folder. You can retrieve the recordings and push them to our media server.
- Go to http://www.mtech.edu/cts/faqs/media-server/ and click "Upload to the Media Server." You can also find a link to the media server in the CTS lefthand navigation under Resources > Media Server.
- Sign in with your Montana Tech credentials. After signing in, you should be able to see your name or department folder in the space that says bbcollab in the screen shot below:
- You will receive a link to the recording. You can place this link in your Moodle course or e-mail it. Make sure you keep track of your links for future use if desired.
For further training and help, please contact:
Kathy Stevens, Montana Tech Distance Learning Coordinator
E-mail Kathy Stevens
Office Phone: (406) 496-4837
Cell Phone: (406) 491-2410
For technical support, you may also contact the Campus Technology Services (CTS) Help Desk:
The CTS Help Desk
Office Phone: (406) 496-4244
Campus Location: MG 107