I 20 FORMS AND THE VISA PROCEDURE
International students must obtain a form I 20 prior to arranging their visa appointment with a U.S. consular officer. Form I 20s are issued to you from Montana Tech.
To obtain a form I 20, you must complete the following:
- Application for admission
- Financial support
- Official Transcripts proving that you are academically admissible
- Copy of your passport
- Proof of English proficiency or paperwork filled out to attend the English Language Institute
Once you have obtained a form I 20, you must schedule a visa interview. To do this, you must:
- Pay your $200 SEVIS fee. Directions will accompany your form I 20. Visit the Student and Exchange Visitor Program website to begin the process.
- Set up a visa appointment. Visit the U.S. Department of State website to find the nearest embassy. Make sure you read the embassy site to make sure you fulfill all obligations unique to your home country.
*NOTE: If you are a Canadian student, you do not need to obtain a visa to study in the United States. Thus, once you obtain your form I 20, you simply need to pay the SEVIS fee. This is only for Canadian residents. Landed immigrants must go through the visa process
To get some tips on how to prepare for the visa process, consult with the National Association of International Educators website or www.nafsa.org.