Discover Your Major
Explore Montana Tech's Degree Programs
Search by degree area or interest, then learn more about each program!
How to Discover Your Major:
- Review the Major Requirements in the current catalog.
- Check out the department websites for detailed information on each program.
- Review what recent grads are doing with a major in… ask Career Services for assistance!
What to do if you just can't decide:
- Take required general education courses or common courses that will count towards several degrees. Use the curriculum worksheets that are in the catalog and online.
- Avoid major hopping due to conflicts with professors, not being able to relate the material to how it applies in the real world or general personal crisis (including family pressure!).
- Explore different types of courses that might suit your interests and skills.
- Talk with a faculty advisor in the major areas that you are exploring
- Take a career assessment through the Student Life Counselors on either the North or South Campus
- Strong Interest Inventory
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Montana Career Information System-MCIS
- Visit with a Student Life Counselor or Career Services for ideas to explore how your interests, abilities and values relate to specific careers and related academic majors.
- Talk to people (informational interviews) who are doing what you think you want to do.
- Request a job shadow to find out what the day-to-day reality of a job really is like.
- Volunteer with an organization to develop skills and learn more about non-profit organizations.
- Talk to a Faculty Advisor in the major areas that you are exploring.