Undergraduate Academic Advising Mission
Academic advising is a critical component of the educational experience. Through academic advising, we empower (guide) students to develop and implement sound educational plans that are consistent with their personal values, goals and career plans. Our purpose is to guide students to become self-directed learners and decision makers.
Undergraduate Academic Advising Objectives
To further student development, Montana Tech’s Undergraduate Advising seeks to:
- Help students explore career choices and choices of academic major based on their interests, values, skills, and abilities.
- Assist students in developing an academic program consistent with their goals and natural strengths.
- Encourage students to gather and evaluate information, and make meaningful decisions based upon a consideration of the information, alternatives, and personal values and goals.
- Assist students in the exploration of possible short- and long-range consequences of decisions and facilitate advisees' recognition and acceptance of personal responsibility for their choices.
- Help students recognize and accept the reality of possible successes and failures, thereby encouraging a sense of confidence and maturity.
- Provide an open environment which will foster self-exploration, self-awareness, and self-evaluation, thus encouraging a sense of personal identity.